[30.11.2022] FAQs International Office

How can I contact the International Office?

During the following consultation hours, you can reach us in person. Please note that advice and information can only be given to a limited extent at the moment. Information that needs to be retrieved from the campus management system cannot be issued. We are unfortunately not available via phone or email.

Admissions and enrolment for international students

Front Office: Mondays between 1 and 3 pm; Tuesdays to Fridays between 9 am and 12 noon 
Duisburg campus: room SG 052
Essen campus:  room WST-C.06.05

Periods abroad

Ways abroad – general consultation on periods abroad: 
Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10 am and 12 noon, Duisburg campus, room SG 053
Mondays between 1 and 3 pm, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 10 am and 12 noon, Essen campus, room V15 R03 G26

Study periods abroad with Erasmus:
Wednesdays between 10 am and 12 noon, Essen campus, room V15 R03 G36

Work placements abroad:
Tuesdays between 10 am and 12 noon, Wednesdays between 2 and 4 pm, Essen campus, room V15 R03 G30
Wednesdays between 12 noon and 2 pm, Duisburg campus, room SG 093

Consultation services for international students and refugees (financing and matters related to immigration law): 

Mondays and Wednesdays between 10 am and 12 noon, Duisburg campus, room SG 035 
Mondays and Wednesdays between 10 am and 12 noon, Essen campus, room WST-C.06.17

TSC consultation hour for questions related to student life in general: Tuesdays between 2 and 3 pm in Duisburg, room SG 122; in Essen, the consultation hour cannot currently take place due to building work.

Consultation services for incoming exchange students

Tuesdays between 9 and 10 am, Essen campus, room V15 R03 G26
Thursdays between 10 am and 12 noon, Duisburg campus, room SG 120

Welcome Service (visiting researchers)

Mondays to Thursdays between 10 am and 12 noon, Essen campus, room WST-C.06.15 or WST-C.06.17

You can also find the latest information on Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/internationaloffice_ude/

For international students:
https://www.instagram.com/tsc_due/?hl=en and https://tsc-due.org/

Applications and admissions for international students

Can I currently apply for a bachelor’s degree programme on uni-assist?

Uni-assist has not been affected by the technical disruptions. Your application will be processed there as usual.

How can I apply for a master’s degree programme?

Due to the technical disruptions, applications are unfortunately not possible at the moment.

What is the status of my application/enrolment?

Unfortunately, we do not have any access to our systems at the moment; we are therefore not able to process applications or carry out enrolment.

I urgently need a confirmation of academic progress (Studienverlaufsbescheinigung) for the immigration office (only for ISE degree programmes; for all other degree programmes, please contact the Examinations Office):
Confirmations of academic progress cannot currently be issued. The immigration offices in the surrounding area have been informed about the current situation. In urgent cases, we can issue a substitute document. Please attend our consultation hours on ‘Admissions and enrolment for international students’ for this purpose.

Please attend our consultation hours and bring with you the form to be filled in, your current enrolment certificate and your transcript of records showing ALL study and examination components. The form will then be filled out there on campus or sent to you by post.

Periods abroad

Can I currently apply for Erasmus, the Aurora exchange programme or PROMOS grants? 

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to apply for these. The deadline for applications for PROMOS (originally 30 November) will be extended and the start of the application period for Erasmus and the Aurora exchange programme (originally 1 December) has been pushed back. Applications for funding for Erasmus work placements abroad will be possible again on an ongoing basis once the technical situation allows it.

I need an attestation/signature (e.g. BAföG grants for stays abroad or a nomination confirmation)?

Please attend our consultation hours and bring a printed copy of the relevant form with you so that we can sign it.

How can I complete the online learning agreement (OLA)?

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to access the OLA. Please inform your host university and use the following template: https://erasmus-plus.ec.europa.eu/sites/default/files/2022-06/online-learning-agreement-jun-2022_en.docx

I’m waiting for information from my host institution. How can I receive this?

Please email your host institution and explain the current situation. Ask them to send all information to your alternative email address.

When will my grant be paid (Erasmus/PROMOS)?

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to make payments. As soon as this is possible again, we will get the payments underway.

Welcome Service

Can I register myself in the database for visiting researchers?

Yes, please use this link to register:


How can I get a hosting agreement?

You can send us the completed hosting agreement together with proof of financing via (internal) post:

Universität Duisburg-Essen
International Office/Welcome Service
Berliner Platz 6–8
45127 Essen

You can download the template here:


Please note that you should enter the Welcome Service’s details as the research institution.

How can I contact the Immigration Office in Duisburg or Essen?

At the moment, we are unfortunately unable to help you in this regard.

Contact details for the Duisburg Süd Immigration Office (for all international researchers):


Contact details for the Welcome and ServiceCenter in Essen (for researchers in accordance with Section 18b and Section 18d of the German Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz; AufenthG)):


Contact details for the Immigration Office in Essen (doctoral students in accordance with Section 16 of the AufenthG):


Incoming exchange students

If you are already enrolled at UDE

Your faculty contact person is responsible for questions related to academic matters such as courses, examinations and learning agreements. In most cases, you will be able to attend their office hours in person on campus. We will inform you as soon as we have alternative contact details. 

You can reach the International Office during the hours for ‘Consultation services for incoming exchange students’. 

If you are applying for admission to the summer semester 2023 

Can I still apply for admission to the summer semester 2023 as an exchange student?

Yes, the application portal is still open and you can apply as normal.

Will the deadline for applications be extended?

No, you should still submit your application by 1 December 2022.

How can I complete the academic preparation form?

Please submit your application by the deadline on 1 December even if you are currently unable to complete the academic preparation form due to the current situation.

When will I be informed about admission, accommodation and enrolment?

We will contact you as soon as possible regarding the next steps.